There is now a new option for treatment that includes a painless laser procedure to kill the fungus in the toenail with usually one treatment! And is 80-88% effective! Think about it, one 20-30 minute treatment by a painless laser and 6 to 9 months later, the toenails have grown out normal! Too bad we can’t figure out how to make them grow faster! The new PinPointe FootLaser has given us a much better treatment option for eradicating toenail fungus. Unfortunately most insurance companies deem it cosmetic so they don’t cover it, but if you think about all the hassles, copays and the risk of side effects; the toenail laser looks like the best option for most patients.
- This patented laser technology kills the pathogens that cause toenail fungus!
- The gentle laser light works through the nail.
- No side effects - it does not harm the nail or skin!
- Painless - no anesthesia needed!
- Usually only one treatment required unless all 10 nails are severely affected, then it may take two treatments.
- Shoes and nail polish can be worn immediately after treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How Does The Laser Work?
This patented laser is specially designed to shine through your toenail and destroy the specific pathogens embedded in and under your nail causing the infection. The FootLaser operates in the very tight spectrum of near infra red light. Unlike CO2 lasers of the past, this laser safely destroys the fungi, molds and bacteria that often cause onychomycosis.
The laser treatment is applied to all of the toenails on both feet, even the ones that appear uninfected. This reduces the chance of re-infection and takes about 20-30 minutes. There is an initial consultation with the doctor to see if you are a candidate for the treatment. If the infection is resistant or has not responded with normal nail growth, the nails may need another laser treatment. This often occurs when all ten nails are severely infected. An additional treatment 8-12 months following the procedure may be necessary in severe cases.
- Is This Laser Painful?
The gentle laser light beam has no effect on healthy tissue. There is no discomfort associated with the treatment during or after. This treatment does not harm or affect your activity in any way.
- Does It Really Work?
In the clinical studies, 88% of the treated patients grew out a normal looking nail after one treatment. After the one treatment, the nail plate should grow out normally in 6-12 months if there is a healthy nail bed. This result is comparable to the success rate for the oral pill, Lamisil, which you take for three or four months with some risk of side effects. It is much more effective than any topical medications available. Additional information can be found at www.pinpointefootlaser.com
- Is This Treatment Safe?
There are no age or health restrictions or limitations. In clinical studies there have been no adverse reactions, injuries, disabilities or known side effects. As you may know, the use of the medication available today for treatment of fungus toenails, carries with it possible systemic involvement (commonly the liver and kidney). This laser does not! The laser is safe for nursing mothers and patients on blood thinners, but may not work on those with severe psoriasis, lichen plantis or a history of melanoma.
- Does My Insurance Pay For This?
Because this treatment is considered aesthetic (cosmetic), health insurance plans do not cover this treatment. We accept major credit cards and bank checks/money orders or we can provide you with a receipt that you may use for your Flexible Spending Account from work. We are unable to accept personal checks at this time.
- How Much Does It Cost?
For pricing information, contact our office at 817-416-6155.
- What Should I Expect at My Laser Treatment?
The consultation is usually just a short visit with the doctor to diagnoses whether or not you actually have toenail fungus and to discuss treatment options.
If you decide that laser therapy is for you, the procedure can often be performed that day. In order for this to be available for you, you must remove your toenail polish at least 24 hours in advance and wash your feet thoroughly prior to coming for your consultation. Note: toenail polish remover is flammable and can cause sparking from the laser which can harm your toes!
The procedure takes about 20-30 minutes and you can resume normal activity right after the therapy. Toenail polish can be applied immediately, but it is recommended to take a two week polish holiday if you can.
You will receive a home care kit after your procedure. This will include a topical anti-fungal that you will use on the skin of your feet and in between your toes (not on your nails) for two weeks after the procedure. It will also include a fungicide for your shoes to be used once a week until your nails have grown out, and a one month supply of a biotin supplement which helps your nails grow faster. Refills can be obtained at Healthy Steps. It is recommended to continue taking the biotin vitamin supplement until your nails grow out completely.
An alternative to the Mycomist anti-fungal for your shoes is Steri-Shoe which is a UV light sterilizer that you put in your shoes. These are available at Healthy Steps and the bulb usually lasts for at least a year.
- How can I prevent recurrent toenail fungus?
- If you get regular pedicures, bring your own instruments or go to a spa that sterilizes their instruments in an autoclave.
- Clean your toenail clippers with alcohol before you use them if you do your own toenails and make sure to replace Emory boards and orange sticks regularly.
- We also recommend you regularly clean your shoes with an antibacterial with an antifungal like Mycomist at least once a week and dry them with a hairdryer. Using a Steri-shoe sterilizer is a good alternative.
- Changing socks regularly (even a few times a day if you have sweaty feet) and keeping your feet clean and dry is also helpful.
- Keep your athletic shoes dry and also change them regularly. If you exercise regularly, buy your athletic shoes a half size larger than your street shoes so you won’t bash your toenails as your feet swell with exercise.
Any other questions, please contact us at (817) 416-6155 and select the option for Healthy Steps!